Newbie Advice Kudasai~ Artemis Lacroux

Welcome to Realms of Adventure! Forums New Player Boards Newbie Advice Kudasai~ Artemis Lacroux

• Creator
    Topic
    Lacroux Artemis
    Participant

I'm new to the game, working around some hills that I need to climb over. I was just wondering if anyone have some advice for anything IG or OOG. Please and thanks! >w< !! I'm a half gray elf, half ipponese, and am ready for any obstacle ahead! I'm also looking to be a temp-cast, so I can get a goo feel for the game and get a better idea of how everything goes down, hoping that's a good idea...?Any advice will help, thank you!! :3

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Ryan
    Participant

Welcome!  It's always great to see new people coming aboard 🙂  There's nothing wrong with temp-casting, but I honestly recommend against it for your first event.  Experiencing ROA as a player first may be in your best interests, as it is a vastly different experience from running on the cast side.  I hope to see you soon!-Ryan

Milo Greenbottle
    Participant

Welcome,Basic gear suggestions would be socks wool ones if you can find them, should still be easy this time of year. Avoid having wet feet as it ruins the game experience and real life when you return. Make sure you are well hydrated and have both snacks and meals planned. If you have decided on which costuming features you want for your character have them all ready to go for your first game, players are willing to share but it's best to be prepared. Black clothes for casting duty, I also agree with Ryan that going as a player is much more exciting and fun. Don't over pack either, I did this my first few events, make a list and remove things. -Will

Xandis
    Participant

As a newer player I would suggest everything milo said. Also when picking skills take the vision you have for your character and try to focus on skills that can be renewed like health or mana or continuous use skills first overall you will get more use out of them which should be more fun.

I have to agree with Ryan on his advice on playing for your first event. It gives you a better feel for the game and lets you experience what it would be like to truly be your character. While casting is great also, I really believe that a person should play at least once. There will be plenty of time for cast to abu…um, utilize you on your cast shift.Milo's recommendations are great also as far as gear to bring. Also socks, socks, sock and socks. You're going to need them.

Shelly
    Participant

First off welcome glad to have you aboard and can not wait to meet you in two weeks. Everything so far has been great advice however…

Also socks, socks, sock and socks. You're going to need them.

Totally this!Anyway As far as Casting I am a cast member. I do not suggest it for your first event. It is a lot to take in for your first time. Cast is also extremely fast paced once we get the ball rolling you wouldnt really have time to enjoy the game for the first time if you are on cast. During the game however you do have to do two hours of cast duty. if we need people for longer we usually allow players who want to, to stay and help us out. if that happens on your shift, feel free to stay if you wish. *Clothing:: march is obviously a cold event. most of the time wet as well. Please bring any clothing that can fit under your costume incase you get cold or over them so long as its in game. Under armor is an amazing thing to have and keeps you quite toasty!      Pj's are also always nice and comfy 🙂    Clean clothes to wear when game is off. After clean up we do go to the Chatterbox which is a great place to eat. Also nice to wear something clean after a few days...*Food & Water:: Food and water are amazing things to bring. Any type of snack you might want to eat as well in game can easily fit in a pouch, or your pocket just try to throw away wrappers or put the food in things that look in game. It kind of breaks game when i see a Gushers wrapper, or hot pocket box laying around. Water or any type of drink to keep hydrated is also encouraged. We do have drinks at the tavern which cost in game coin (your character will get two silver for starting the game), and usually have a lot of sugar in it.A lot of times in game people will be AWESOME and feed you.     We do have a nice warm meal on saturday night which i think is $3 a plate its always very yummy which brings me to my next thing to bring*Money:: To pay for your event (if you didnt pre reg), in case you wish to purchase buy in points and or dinner on saturday night. Also for the Chatterbox after the event.*Medications/First Aid:: Any medications that you may be on bring as well also please inform cast if you are on any meds and of any allergies you may have (its always great to be prepared on that stuff). Cast has a first aid kit in logistics feel free to come to us if you need anything that may be in it or you can carry your own, or leave it in your tent.*Standard Gear:: This can include: sunscreen, bug spray (this is a god sent a lot of the times), anti itch stuff for when and if you do get bites, female products if needed, shampoo, soap, towel, etc. Sometimes a flashlight or a lantern is a great idea because while game in on we do not run the power in the cabins, also if your in a tent and you need to find something. *In game Gear:: your costume, any items you might need for a skill(s) that your character can use (ie: lock picks for lockpicking,etc). Any accessories to your costume, or anything you will want for in game. Since this will be your first event you will have to go to the new player meeting which I believe takes place in the guard house? Either be in your costume or bring everything with you because we start game not long after your meeting ends. Hope this is helpful and again can not wait to meet you... alsoSOCKS!

Gene
    Participant

When planning on bringing food and drink.  Bring about anywhere between a half a serving to a full serving more than you usually eat.  You will be camping and with that comes lots of walking, exposure to the elements, and on occasion running for your life.  This will build up quite an appetite.  If you're worried about having too much, you can always donate a sandwich or two to cast or players.  Nobody turns down a free sammich… Also, WATER AND GATORADE will be your gods now.  Seriously, don't skimp on this part.Comfortable clothing is a must.  I know way too many people who chose the "this looks cool" route, as opposed to the "this is practical/comfortable" route.  You will be in your costume for the better part of 3 days, you might as well enjoy it. And with that pockets, pouches, and anything else you can store your IG or  needed immediately (meds, makeup, etc) stuff in.  SOCKS, there, I'm only going to say it once for you 😛With that, comfortable bedding in what will most likely be an unheated building or tent.  Again, you are for the most part camping.Don't do what I did and assume this is like a video game where people will come up to you with things for you to do.  Get out there, find stuff to do, slay an ogre, take ransoms, kill the queen!  ANYTHING!  Do not play the "sit in the tavern all weekend" game.  Unless you are a bard, then go for it.

Faarooq
    Participant

*Medications/First Aid:: Any medications that you may be on bring as well also please inform cast if you are on any meds and of any allergies you may have (its always great to be prepared on that stuff). Cast has a first aid kit in logistics feel free to come to us if you need anything that may be in it or you can carry your own, or leave it in your tent.

Let me clarify since these were grouped as one category. The first aid kit contains bandages, cold packs, and things of that nature. Cast can't and won't supply any medication, even things like aspirin. So you'll be responsible for that if you imagine you'll want to use it over the weekend.Bring your imagination and your sense of adventure, and put on your socializing boots, and you'll have fun good times.Also, welcome and stuff. 🙂

Mike
    Participant

Seems like folks have most everything covered, but I wanted to touch on a few points.As Shelly said, casting your first event is not recommended. Others can provide a lot more detail, but a few points stick out. For instance you WILL be excluded from major plot discussions and this WILL lead to isolation at various points. This is not a punishment or done for any reason other than protecting the secrets of the game. Cast has layers and the longer and more invested you become the more you learn. Additionally, casting is a completely different experience from playing as many can attest. Once you peek behind the curtain, some of the magic is lost. You can never have back the magic of your first event.As to First aid and medical needs, Franz/Farooq is right on the money. We do have supplies for dealing with scrapes and cuts, sprains, tick removal and the like. If you have some chronic condition (IE - You know EVERY time you run around you will need ice packs) it is suggested you bring your own. Additionally, legally, we are not allowed to give out any medications including something as simple as aspirin or tylenol. We don't deny these medications to be jerks, it is a matter of the litigious society in which we live. I am not saying if you have a screaming headache no one at the camp will consider helping you, I am just saying "officially" the "game" cannot. Read that as you will;)Last but certainly not least WELCOME!

Raziya
    Participant

YayAyay! I'm a newish player 2!! I can't wait to meet you! You're going to have so much fun! All of the above advice is definitely good.  😀Totally spend atleast your first few events as a player! Welcome to RoA get ready for some crazy!-Olivia

Wynnlee
    Participant

Also in the way of food and drinks:If you can stomach them, having a  a protein type drink each day can also be fantastic (even "diet" ones like Slim Fast or Ensure) Because they are full of the vitamins meant to replace meals. If you have any kinds of deficiencies (such as myself) these can be amazing and be the difference between feeling awful and being able to enjoy the weekend.Also if I am not mistaken you will be portraying a heavy make up character?I highly suggest bringing baby shampoo/wash (such as Johnsons, but generic brands work just as well) They are hypoallergenic, tear free and great for all skin types, but will get you super clean!Also, just as a little extra, stuff for your living space to help keep you immersed in game. This is totally optional; as long as you keep your out of game gear hidden, it doesn't really matter if you trick out your tent or not, but it can be a fun little extra to help you enjoy the weekend 🙂

Gene
    Participant

Also in the way of food and drinks:If you can stomach them, having a  a protein type drink each day can also be fantastic (even "diet" ones like Slim Fast or Ensure) Because they are full of the vitamins meant to replace meals.

I second this.  I'm not really a vitamin popping kind of person, but when I'm larping, for some reason I just feel less crappy over the weekend when I take them everyday.  Placebo effect or not.

Cos
    Participant

Welcome to the fold! I hope everyone gives you as warm of a welcome as they gave me. My first event was as a cast member because I wasn't sure if I wanted to permanently wanted to be a player or cast member. Cast was very friendly to me, and I had the chance to play many different roles. However cast can be a lot of work, and the majority of the time out on the field will be as a monster, where you will be repeatedly beaten by boffer weapons (especially if you're not accustomed to the combat system). It's a very tiring position, since you're constantly moving, but also very fun.As a player you can literally do whatever you want. If your character wants to sleep all day, go ahead! The level of activity depends completely on you. The players are very friendly, and very welcoming to newbies, so never be afraid to put yourself out there and talk to them.Overall I enjoy cast and player equally, but since I want to see my character grow and accomplish goals, I've decided to stay on.the player side.

Sarineo
    Keymaster

Welcome! As everyone else has mentioned, if you have any questions feel free to ask. About bedding though, the cabins are all heated, so usually a sleeping bag + pillow + maybe a blanket tends to be enough. If you plan on sleeping in a tent if they're up, that will be considerably colder though.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.