Ax building

• Creator
    Topic
    Bored at Work
    Participant

I don't want to make a weapon that will fail safety, so I am asking for some advice.I intend to make a hand ax using some dense foam for the blade. It is stiff enough to hold a shape, but will give when it impacts a person. I was wondering if this is a good idea (should I use something denser?)Also should I use layers of open cell foam for the striking edge like a thrusting tip, or should I use 5/8" foam leftover from making a sword?What have other people used?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Faarooq
    Participant

If by give, you mean bend easily, something stiffer is probably better. Bendy never sounds good.You should absolutely add a layer of pipe foam, or similar density foam, along the striking edge, especially if using a denser foam as the bulk of the blade. Open cell foam over dense foam would be like open cell over bare pipe. Also, I have heard that when used along a blade edge, it tends to deform easily and lose its nice shape.Even though you likely won't be thrusting with it, don't forget to cut the pipe a few inches shorter than the foam of the handle, in case of accidental collisions.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.